Saturday, November 24, 2012

Perfect Day In Paradise

November 20th, 2012

Well, this wasn't a perfect day, but pretty good.  I decided to take Drake off all drugs, real or herbal.  He went through our schedule and due to me not letting him stay in the yard like yesterday, he did not throw one fit.  Towards the evening upstairs he did spin barking, but was able to redirect easily.

I did watch him closely and while talking to one of my other girlfriends, Carol Lea, she said that when she watched something on Animal Planet, that she remembers that is what dachshunds do.  Sans barking.  They ran and dug, very quickly.  I looked the show up on YouTube and there it was, Dachshund 101.  They said that a dachshund could dig one and a half feet in a minute.  What?  That their toes were web like and built for digging.  He showed them digging just like Drake.  No barking or spinning in between.  Digging like they were manic.  Yes, manic like Drake.  Well, George was partly right.

I had made a rookie mistake.  I did not research the breed.  I fell in love with the dog.  I started off by putting his impairment ahead of him being a dog or his breed.  I had hesitated because he was a male, but never even thought of what the breed was bred to do.  I never liked the look of the breed, so I knew less about them then I did many breeds.  Now what?  I couldn't change his breed anymore than  I could change him being a male.

No comments:

Post a Comment