Friday, November 2, 2012

It's Me Not You....No It's Definitely You

November 2, 2012

Today was a hard day.  I think I'm just tired of the constant supervision.  I am confused over what to do about all of his compulsive behavior.  When he barks in the house, is he looking for me?  The real question, is he training me to find him when he barks and reassure him?  I don't know if I should just touch him to reassure him, or should I ignore him, to show that I am not to be trained?  I know I have made so many mistakes, but I also know how forgiving a dog can be.  I don't want to make his behavior worse instead of better. 

I was reading another article to day about compulsive behavior in dogs and they said redirect and do not punish him.  Well, his compulsive behavior out side is the hardest to deal with.  I have not been punishing him, but I do tell him no, no every time he spins and barks out of control.  If I can interrupt him before it starts, I just redirect him.  The reason that I always no, no him, is because he responds to me and stops.  If something works I continue.  Like removing him from the bed or closing the gate on his playroom.  These things work so far and I don't think they are as much of a direct threat to him like the wienie roll can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment