Saturday, September 29, 2012

Splish, Splash, Now He Needs A Bath

September 21st, 2012

As I did my morning ritual with my Drake, I noticed he was more curious about the backyard.  I slowed down and took my time.  I decided that this after noon I wold bring him out with me and do some watering.  My poor yard had been so neglected, like everything else, since this wonderful creature had come into my life.  Maybe it was just boredom.  Besides it had been nine days since he had moved in, with his precious ball.

As first it was fabulous.  He had always been so independent.  That is the very first thing I had noticed about him the day I first laid my eyes on him.  He was in a very big room, with lots of chairs and tables.  It was the visiting room, so it certainly was not empty.  There he was navigating around at full speed.  Tail and nose high, you would have never guessed that he was blind, much less further impaired with his loss of hearing.  I was seeing that same confidence, as he navigated around my yard.  He visited all my out door pets.  Smelled them and showed no fear, just a healthy curiosity.

Then it happened.  I had been watering and some of the water had run down and formed a little shallow river.  Drake found it.  At first it was just barking and spinning.  I would touch him and he would move a little,but was still near the water.  He had loved water while at Paws.  They said one of his best tricks was to be showed a stone, that would fit into his mouth.  Then they would throw it in their shallow little pond (container purchased from Tractor Supply), and he would retrieve it.  So, thinking that he would have the same reaction, I found a stone.  He showed no interest, just continued with his spinning.  Now he was frantically digging and barking.  It was not a healthy game, he was manic.  I picked him up, took him to the kitchen for a quick rinse off.  As soon as I rinsed him off, I put him down.  He ran out my doggie door into the back yard and the mud.  By the time I arrived, he was muddier that the first time. 
 
Everything seemed to turn into some seemingly obsessive and manic behavior.  His joy always seemed to turn bad.  I had to take him into the house, give him a full on bath and lock the doggie door.  He cried and would spin at the door, so I eventually took him upstairs to play in his play room.  I was going to have to really monitor him, especially when he seemed to be having a good time.  That is what always lead to trouble.  How sad I thought, he can't seem to relax enough to just enjoy anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment