Monday, September 24, 2012

Got To Get You Into My Life

September 15th, 16th, and 17th

So the week-end came, and the week-end went.  Drake continued to be the center of each day, he was controlling me.  As much as I was beginning to resent him, I was also started to connect with him.  See his anxiety, starting to see what he needed when he barked,  Even when he would spin.  I was just so frustrated and tired from his antics I couldn't even think.  He needn't help, but I needed rest.

Monday morning, as I listened to my dogs growl and Drake bark, I had a thought which accidental floated into my tired brain.  Maybe Drake was as exhausted as I was.  He was currently on an anti- anxiety, half a pill in the morning and half a pill in the evening.  The girls had told me what a difference that pill had made for him.  They had tried several things, but this really had turned a corner for them.  So I thought, since he is going through this transition with me, maybe he needs to up his meds to get him through this big change. I was certainly using more Advil for Migraines.  One pill had helped him, he was already settled.  Now he was anything but settled.  So I got the name of his vet from his pill box and called him.  He was great, he said to up it to one pill in the morning and one pill in the evening.  He said if I did not see a change in a couple of days that he would give me a little stronger medication.  Suddenly a feeling of hope, allowed a smile to accidentally make it though my tired facial muscles, and faintly cross my lips.

I gave him a whole pill that morning, and by the time I gave him his second pill, I could see such a change in his anxiety.  He slowed down, everything he did slowed down.  It was a little scary at first, I guess it was guilt.  It just got so much easier, so fast.  I was hoping he was not ,going to be drowsy and his personality changed.  He had suddenly started napping several times a day, but still going to sleep at the same time.  By the second day, I realized that he was as happy as I  was with his new speed.  Things certainly weren't perfect.  We still had so many issues, but this new and improved Drake, was such a welcome change.

No comments:

Post a Comment