Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Who Knows What The Nose Smells

October 23rd, 2012

Today was another good morning.  He did his little routine and seemed fine.  However, I wasn't going to be fooled.  I knew that we had taken three steps forward over the last couple of mornings, and that we would have to take at least one back.  As the morning passed and he played,  I waited.  I now had the small crate ready to shove him in to correct his behavior.  Although for the last couple of days most of his behavior had been corrected with that little no, no to the nose.

He had spent a lot of time outside this afternoon, smelling.  That's what he does.  Head down, then all of a sudden the nose goes up and he takes a little sprint, with no hesitation, as though he can see where he is running.  It is amazing how much confidence he has.  That is what made me fall in love with him the first time I saw him.  He has never taken a victim's stance, always confident. I will admit that two of his favorite places are where the donkey poops and around the chicken pen where they sleep, and poop.  I think that's the male in him, poop, not many little girls are as interested as you guys.

I brought him in around 5:00 PM, except for a couple of spins, he had seemed balanced.  He always gets cranky when he is over tired, so  decided to put him to bed. He normally goes to bed around 7:00 PM and it was only around 5:30PM now. So, usually I wait for him to ask me to go to bed, but I just tucked him in because I was on the computer and he kept doing this three bark thing.  Not the howling or crying when he spins.  Just barking.  Even though I didn't think the three barks thing he was doing should be corrected, it was annoying.

He went right to be and to sleep.  However, not long after, he jumped up and lunged towards the other side of the bed barking.  An aggressive bark, like I had only heard a few times.  I grabbed his collar and pulled him back to his spot.  I said no, no (you know, on his nose) and he laid back down.  It was as though he saw something, but in his case smelled something, close.    He went back to sleep and then it kept happening.  After a few times I put his leash on, so he would wake me up.  Wake me up he did.  All night.  I have no idea what was up with him.  He kept smelling the sheets and pillow cases, and jumping back, like fear.  Scientist say that a dog can smell thousands of times better than a human and that a hearing impaired dog, can smell thousands of times better than that.  Who knows......just hope this is a one time thing and not some kind of a ritual for him  He has some strange ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment